Robin Barnes - Railway Art and History
The 5ft 4.5in gauge (approx. 1522 mm) Baltimore & Hampden branch of
the Baltimore Union Passenger Railroad, a little over 2 miles in length, was
converted from horse to electric traction (260V dc, third-rail power collection)
by the Daft Electric Company, which supplied four 4-wheel locomotives to
haul the original passenger cars. Operation commenced in August 1885
and proved a great success, but reversion to horse power was made after
only four years, purely because the company had decided it was not
financially viable to keep working and staffing a power station for a short
section of line which had no connection with any other. The painting shows
the Daft locomotive Morse rounding one of the many sharp curves on a
dull, wet summer's afternoon.
All railway art is for viewing only and is copyrighted to Robin Barnes 2008.
The railway art may not be reproduced in any way without written permission from the artist.