Robin Barnes - Railway Art and History
To achieve maximum adhesion, ideally all wheels should be powered,
but this was difficult of achievement in the rod-driven reciprocating
steam locomotive. In the eight-coupled Steyerdorf, built at the Staats
Eisenbahn Gesellschaft, Wien (StEG), during 1861, we see the Fink
variation on the Engerth arrangement, in which the four trailing wheels
were mounted in a separate articulated frame, driven from the front
via a dummy crankshaft, arranged to permit some lateral movement.
Whilst its performance on the difficult Reschitza to Orawicza line did
not set the hills alive to the sound of music, it was good enough to be
followed by three further examples up to 1867, one of which survived
to become in 1891, briefly, Hungarian Royal State Railway (MAV) No.
All railway art is for viewing only and is copyrighted to Robin Barnes 2002.
The railway art may not be reproduced in any way without written permission from the artist.